Job Title: Human Resource Specialist
Reports To: Finance Director
Status: Full-Time, Non-Exempt (Hourly)
Wage: $19.82 to $24.29 per hour BOE
Close Date: Friday, December 20, 2013 at 5:00 pm
This position is responsible for planning, developing, implementing, and administering all human
resource and risk management programs, activities, and functions in order to maximize the strategic
use of human resources within the Syracuse City organization. These activities include recruitment,
selection, safety, training and development, personnel policy manual updates and compliance,
benefits administration, worker’s compensation, employee relations, and other related programs and
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the following
essential duties and responsibilities satisfactorily:
- Recruitment for vacant city positions including advertising, reviewing applications, reviewing job qualifications, performing interviews, sending regret letters, and completing background checks and verifications.
- Establish, interpret, enforce, and revise city personnel policies and procedures;
- Provide advice and counsel to employees and management on a variety of personnel issues,
- Correspond and communicate with necessary parties regarding departmental business, personnel policies and procedures, and other relevant activities/events;
- Regularly review personnel policies and procedures to ensure compliance with applicable laws, codes, and regulations;
- Plan and perform administrative work related to worker’s compensation, long-term disability, health, dental, life, vision, flex spending, safety, and employee assistance;
- Negotiate benefits contracts and oversee the annual open enrollment process;
- Perform research and analysis, conduct studies, and prepare recommendations;
- Develop and organize employee training programs;
- Oversee maintenance of personnel files and HR departmental records;
- Write and update job classifications, job descriptions, and compensation specifications;
- Oversee all aspects of risk management for Syracuse City;
- Conduct investigations and complete random drug tests of employees;
- Maintain a productive working environment which includes, but is not limited to, a spirit of cooperation with co-workers, peers and the public.
- Other duties as assigned by the Finance Director.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
To complete this job successfully, an individual should be able to demonstrate the following
knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Principles and practices of human resource management
- Dynamics of employee development and professional growth
- Training program design and presentation
- State and federal labor laws and regulations
- Business implications of decisions
- Conflict resolution techniques
- Report preparation
- Handling multiple projects with interruptions
- Prioritizing, organizing, and delegating tasks to meet deadlines
- Work effectively with employees and management and personnel
- Identify individual and departmental strengths and weaknesses and develop improvement plans where needed.
- Plan, organize, and present training activities to diverse groups of employees
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other agencies and the public.
- Follow written and verbal instructions.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Conserve organizational resources.
- Adhere to established personnel policies and procedures.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required for
this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to
perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in human resource management, public administration, business
administration, or closely related field and two to five years of professional experience in human
resources or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified applicants should submit a completed Syracuse City employment application to the
Syracuse City human resources department. Employment applications can be obtained at the
Syracuse City office building or online at www.syracuseut.com. Completed applications may be
submitted via email (send to firstname.lastname@example.org), via mail, or at the Syracuse City municipal
office building. Applications received after the position close date will not be considered.